I’ve yet to find a good recipe for fried rice. There’s this place in Boise, Idaho (Confucius) that made the best chicken fried rice. My mom used to take me there after a hard day of shopping for some us time. I still get hankering for it. I saw this recipe made on TLC and thought it looked closer then the other methods I’d seen. I haven’t tried it yet, but it looks good! Yet another recipe to put on my To Make list!
From Take Home Chef on TLC Episode 170 Serves 4
- 2 3/4 cups/625 ml water
- 1 1/2 cups/300 g uncooked long grain white rice, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.5 g salt
- 6 tablespoons/90 ml vegetable oil
- 8 ounces/225 g assorted mushrooms (such as oyster and stemmed shiitake), coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 4 small carrots (about 4 ounces/115 g total), peeled and finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup/100 g frozen petite green peas
- 3/4 cup/70 g thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup/85 ml reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon/5 ml toasted sesame oil
Combine the water, rice, and 1/4 teaspoon/1.5 g of salt in a rice cooker and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer the steamed rice to a baking sheet to cool to room temperature. Heat 2 tablespoons/30 ml of vegetable oil in a large wok over medium to high heat.
Add the mushrooms and sauté for 4 minutes or until tender. Transfer the mushrooms to a plate and set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon/15 ml of vegetable oil in the wok over medium to high heat. Add the egg and stir with a fork for about 30 seconds or until just cooked.
Remove the egg from the wok and allow to cool. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons/45 ml of vegetable oil in the wok over medium to high heat. Add the carrots to the wok and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the cooled rice and stir fry for 2 minutes or until heated through.
Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the peas then the mushrooms and eggs. Stir in ¾ of the green onions. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and continue to stir fry for a further 1 minute.
Transfer the rice to a platter and sprinkle with the remaining green onions. Serve as an accompaniment to the Orange Chicken with Carrots and Celery.